Sunday, November 18, 2012

WE ARE GIVING AWAY A HARMFUL OWNER AND HIS NAME IS JEFFREY LORIA


The Spanish version is below this article

Since this person, that is looking more like a con artist than an owner, because that's what it seems to me, let go of Miguel Cabrera, the best player who has worn the Marlins uniform, the only triple crown winner of the last 46 years and the Most Valuable Player in the American League this year, I was saving my anger and my comments. I respected the fact that I may have been simply behaving like a fan and not a reporter, but no more.

There were people who told me that Cabrera´s story leaving the Marlins was an old one; that it was time to recover from that, and they would be right, if it were not for the fact that the same thing that happened with the Venezuelan player, is about to happen with Giancarlo Stanton, who is tired of playing with a AA team, and as soon as he can, sure to go where they not only pay him well but make sure that he has next to him other players that can help get a championship.

I went for a little vacation and in that time, this gentleman, this so-called owner (and I will say that I'm doing everything possible not to use bad words) threw a strike at me when I had asked for a time out.

He removed from the team our best players, Jose Reyes, Emilio Bonifacio, Josh Johnson and Mark Buerhle, i.e. he left us with nothing, because  before that he had let go of Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante and the only one that everyone wanted gone, Hanley Ramirez.

For those who have no memory, I will help you remember who was the guy who dismantled the Montreal Expos, a team that had names like these in its roster:

Andres Galarraga, Larry Walker, Moises Alou, Marquis Grissom and Pedro Martínez.

All were posted in a Major League window to be sold later, a practice that became common for the Marlins, of course, it is easy to guess who was the culprit, Jeffrey Loria, the now infamous Marlins owner.

And I got the photo for this article, to help you remember when he owned the Expos, so as not to forget that the previous infamy, is repeated now.

The fact is that this is abusive.

I know that I am repeating what others have already said, but I am doing it with my own fervor and voice. It is really abusive from this man to pocket money from an audience that wanted to support a team and, because of his failure as an owner and the same failed effort from his staff, the fans are the ones who end up with the short end of the stick;or perhaps it was his cunning and how are we to know if this was what he had planned all along; after all, the stadium is already built and he can simply walk all over us.

Of course he and all who depend on him, starting with his designated team president, David Samson, will say that this is the best that could have been done, that they are working for the future, that they are not benefiting from it, that they are losing money; but the fact is that these gentlemen, all of them, are harmful to baseball and everything that may be related to professional sports, and they have been doing the same, destroying teams since the time of the now gone, Montreal Expos.

We would ask Loria to continue dedicating himself to the art business, and leave baseball alone; it is more than enough to have destroyed a team like the Expos, that now he and his guys want to destroy ours.

If the Commissioner of Baseball, Bud Sellig, really has something that can resemble testicles, he should do just two things:


  • One, stop the trade with Toronto immediately.
  • Two, remove Loria from being a Major League Baseball owner.
  • Nothing more, period.
And the Players Association should also have a look at this guy.
And, of course, the fans should increase their pressure, this gentleman is behaving as a persona non grata.

It must be done, we must protest, because this man will destroy the little that remains of the spirit of baseball in our city. And worst of all, not only that, but he is doing an impressive damage to the sport, because when another city decides to ask the fans to help her build a stadium, the only thing that will come out is Loria´s example. He has to get out of this business as soon as possible, and let me tell you, if he did it right now it would still be late, this I say, to make everyone understand that it's time for him to hit the road.

That's it; and I better not go on, because now it is true that I cannot stop swearing and the readers deserve respect, which is more than I can say of Mr. Loria and his staff, (I am being delicate and trying not to use the word minions when referring to the people who work for him), they lack total respect for the team and its fans.

I challenge you to bring any last place team in any of the Caribbean leagues and make them play this version of the Marlins that Loria is creating,  our countries would win by a mile that game.

Please, it is time for this gentleman to leave the premises.

No comments:

Post a Comment